2017 PASA PanAm Team Canada Selection Criteria – Final Quota Spot
Surf Canada will select athletes to compete in the 2017 PASA Pan American Surfing Games in Lima, Peru Dec.1-9 in Shortboard, Longboard, SUP Surfing, and SUP Tech Racing for both Men and Women. All selections will be administered by Surf Canada
2.0 GUIDING PRINCIPLES
The following guiding principles have been taken into consideration in the development of the 2017 Surf Canada PanAm selection criteria:
- Surf Canada’s primary objective is to finish within the top 8 Team standings in the ’17 Pan Am pre-qualifiers in order to give Team Canada the best possible seeding for the 2018 PanAm qualifiers for the 2019 PanAm Games
- Secondary objective is to prove to the Canadian Olympic Committee, Sport Canada, and Own The Podium, that Surf Canada athletes have the ability to win medals/or demonstrate the potential to win medals at future major events i.e. PanAm ’19, Tokyo ‘20
3.0 ELIGIBLE ATHLETES – Shortboard Men
Surfers in good standing with Surf Canada and the ISA, with a valid Canadian passport that has recently proven high performance competitive success, invited by Surf Canada’s HP committee.
4.0 MAXIMUM TOTAL TEAM CANADA ATHLETE QUOTA
4 Shortboard Women
4 Shortboard Men
2 Longbord Women
2 Longboard Men
2 SUP Surf Women
2 SUP Surf Men
2 SUP Race Women
2 SUP Race Men
5.0 SELECTION FORMAT
1 Available Quota spot for Shortboard Mens.
The Mens shortboard Team will consit of the following:
- National Champion ‘17, Peter Devries
- Highest placing surfer from the ISA Worlds ’17, Noah Cohen
- Winner of the NextGen Trials ’17, Max Self
- Winner of the Final Selection Trials (TBD)
1 NextGen (U18) spot will be decided in Japan during the ISA’s which will leave 4 NextGen surfers still eligible to compete for the final spot against 12 Canadian invitees.
The Final Selection Trials format will be 3 separate back-to-back contests, points accumulate from each. After the 3 events, the top 4 will compete in the Grand Final. In the unlikely event of a tie going into the Grand Final, points will count back from each of the 3 events (3rd, 2nd, then 1st event), then if required, heat scores in the same order, until the tie is broken. Winner of the Grand Final earns the Final Spot, Runner-up is 1st Alternate.
Every heat will simulate the ISA, with 4 man, 20 min heats.
Points as Follows:
1 = 1000
2 = 860
3 = 730
4 = 670
5 = 610
7 = 555
9 = 500
13 = 450
The 4th and final spot for the PanAm ’17 Team going to Lima Peru Dec 1-9, will be decided through the Selection Trials in Tofino the week of Oct 11-13th.
7.0 Unforeseen Circumstances
In situations where an unforeseen circumstance(s) (as determined by Surf Canada) does not allow the Team selection criteria to be fairly and objectively applied, Surf Canada reserves the right to rule on an appropriate course of action.
If the nomination procedures result in fewer athletes than the quota allows, Surf Canada reserves the right to adjust the criteria to include additional athletes.
Surf Canada selections for the 2017 PASA PanAm may not be appealed, all selections are final.